From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:49:13 -0800

> Mike wrote:
> The list of these novel interactions and the speed at which organisms
> are being discovered -viral, bacterial, arthropod--you name it has
> really increased.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Mike!  During my beekeeping career (a
mere blip in evolutionary time), bees have picked up quite a number of new
pathogens: chalkbrood, tracheal and varroa mites, SHB, N ceranae, Isreaeli
and likely other viruses and mutations, and new vector pathways (mites and N
ceranae) for virus transmission.  All in the last 40 years!  It is of no
surprise to me that bee behavior and immune systems are having a hard time
keeping up.

>maybe and insect or mite born pathogen like a prion will
be next.

I was just talking with others recently about the possibility of a prion
like, mite-transmitted protein   Would be easy to overlook in the case of,
say, CCD.

>Are some of the bee virus, we now know exist,  being selected by the
mite immune system, ie passing through the mites where some mite DNA
is added, or are they just mechanically transmitted?

Evidence certainly points to viral evolution in the mite/bee complex, since
both are hosts to some viruses.  E.g., some mites are immune to DWV, and do
not transmit it to bees.

As both Mike and Pete point out, we are looking at a very complex
situation--the interaction of multiple gene pools, mutations and gene
swapping, multiple hosts, and constantly evolving pathogenicity and immune
response.  Each new advancement in genetic technology brings up even more
questions.  Meanwhile, it just keeps us beekeepers wondering what's around
the corner!

Randy Oliver