From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 22:38:08 -0600
>  I have a hive that seems to have alot of pollen frames.
>  Is it ever the case that a hive can be pollen bound?

In Alberta, back in the package bee days, many beekeepers had problems
with excessive amounts of pollen in their frames, since they gassed the
bees in the fall.  I have not heard of this problem since people started
wintering, but in those days, people sold or swapped the frames for empty
ones with beekeepers who were less fortunate in terms of pollen.

I never have had that problem, and believe that we are pollen short here,
This has lead to my feeding supplements well into the pollen season this
year -- with encouraging results.

My recommendation is that you move the pollen frames to the outside if
they are impeding buildup -- or you may wish to put one into the centre of
the cluster occasionally to see if they consume it.

Pollen surplus is usually a temporary phenomenon, and by moving the frames
to the outside, you ensure that the pollen will be covered with honey and
preserved for when the bees need it-  when honey and pollen are scarce.

In extreme cases,  removal of combs is justified, and in that case you
will likely find a neighbour who will gladly want to trade you some empty
brood combs for them.

Allen