From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:09:17 -0400
>"the "nothing but good" claim is as preposterous as the claim of
>complete knowledge that it rests on."
>
>Lets see some evidence

Steve, if you're asking for evidence, you missed my point.  It's because
of all the evidence we *DON'T* have that the "nothing but good" claim is
preposterous.

As an aside, it should be noted that what evidence we do have is largely
limited by (and potentially biased by) financial incentives to fund the
research.  The financial incentives to "prove the safety" of a new
technology (i.e. to not discover any statistically significant dangers)
greatly exceed the incentives to prove the uselessness of a new technology.

My original point, though, was to defend the reasonableness of maintaining
doubts about the safety of irradiation in the absence of complete
knowledge (omniscience), especially given the newness of the technology.
The scientific process which "proved the safety" of asbestos some fifty
years ago is the same scientific process that would offer any evidence of
the safety of irradiation today.  In the face of unknowns, history is a
much better guide than inflated science.

Eric