From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:39:18 -0400
> I work for a large grocery store and I'm looking into putting some
> quality standards in place for honey here.

Interesting question. I am glad to read that some groceries want to get out
of the "I sell generic products cheaper than others" rough lane and move to
the "I sell local high quality products" new market.

I have been asked the same kind of question by restaurant's chefs here
also: "How can I recognize a good floral honey from a scrap blending of
overfiltered heated honeys ? Any difference in color ? Cristallization ?".

I answered that a chef must know his supllier and taste his products. He
must have a "tasting culture" that allow him to distinguish at least local
floral honeys. Then we useally discuss a lot about the different ways to
process honeys, the different ways to harvest honeys, the different ways
beekeepers work, sanitary products used, risks, other products than honey
from hives, honey chemistery that explains tastes, colors, cristallization.

I say a chef must know how his supplier is working, what are the different
ways to process honeys. This is already what they do with vegetable and
meat producers. They visit them and know how vegetable are grown, where
they come from, how they are processed. Let's do the same with beekeepers.

But I guess a buyer for a grocery store can not taste all products. He
probably have no time for such discussion. Yet, knowing his local suppliers
and visit him should be an excellent idea to develop a network. If the
buyer is busy and need paper as standard, I think he should require a
certificate of analysis for each floral source claimed for by the honey
packer. He should require pollen analysis that will allow him to sort out
blended honeys or overfiltered honeys. He sould require lot number for
traceability. Small beekeepers won't be able to provide such a paper for
each harvest, and in such case personal relationship with supplier and
knowing the way he works are the best guarantee of quality. Let's visit
him/her.

Hervé
www.emelys.com