From:
"David. E. Goble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 12:36:43 -0400
>Hi David  always enjoy your posts.  Could you refer me to magazine article
>about mobile extraction. I would
>like to see how others have set up.
>Walter
>
>Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
>    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii
>
>Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii
>
>  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
>http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
>   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm

Hi Walter;

        Thanks for the complement, have you seen my home page yet? The URL
is below in my signature.

        Anyway, thanks also for your request, this information, below will
appear in my home page, in due cause.

The Mobile Outfit

        The mobile outfit is perhaps the most popular with migratory
beekeepers and a well-constructed bee-proof trailer is convenient and
efficent. The mobile outfit has the advantage of having all the extracting
equipment in a compact unit which can be moved into an apiary and made ready
for extraction with a minimum of time and effort.

        When using a mobile outfit the procedure is to draw into an apiary
and after levelling the trailer and lighting the boiler, commence taking off
the honey. As the combs are extracted they are replaced and others are
brought in.
        Where disease has been located previously in an apairy it is
advisable (until it is certain that infected material is no longer present)
to replace the combs on the hives from which they were taken.

        Combs containing a small amount of sealed brood may be extracted
without damage to the immature bees, provided reasonable care is taken and
the combs are returned to the hives before the brood becomes chilled.

        When extracting, every care should be taken to ensure that the
quality of the honey is not impaired in any way. The practice of extracting
too much unripe honey may result in the honey being classed into a lower
grade, thus bringing a reduced net return. To avoid any lowering in quality
only those combs that are at least three parts capped should be removed.

        Frequently it has been noticed that insufficient attention is given
to cleanliness in the extraction plant. Very often the extractor and honey
tank contain an excessive amount of scum and dead bees and do not appear to
be cleaned out from the beginning to the end of the season. Galvanised iron
honey tanks are found with heavy deposits of tannate of iron which has not
been removed by regular washing. Stainless steel is the best.

Variation in Design

        Some beekeepers perfer a two wheel trailer, with the extracter,
honey pump, capping reducer, engine, boiler and honey tank mounted in it or
with a boiler and honey tank placed outside. Others use four wheel trailers,
set up as a divided caravan.
Thanks from :
                 http://www.eastend.com.au/~goble
            [log in to unmask] ( David Goble )
           American Beach Kangaroo Island South Australia