From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2015 08:35:11 -0700

> >I would begin by saying that the problem with mites is the virus, not so
> much the mites themselves. (Interestingly, the term “virulence” derives
> from the Latin virulentus, from virus “poison”). So the question becomes,
> what conditions promote or enhance the lethality of the viruses.

Understood of course.  I have a hard time with the word "virulence" when
applied to varroa, so I looked up its definition prior to posting:
*Virulence* is, by MeSH definition, the degree of pathogenicity within a
group or species of parasites as indicated by case fatality rates and/or
the ability of the organism to invade the tissues of the host.

Can we, for the purposes of discussion, define varroa virulence as its
ability to invade and reproduce in colonies of honey bees?

This is an independent phenomenon than varroa's function as an immune
suppressor  and vector of viruses, the result of which are morbidity and
mortality of colonies (the second type of virulence).  Varroa that, for one
reason or another, do not effectively transmit or induce virus infection
could be virulent as far as reproduction, but avirulent as far as mortality
to the colony.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA