From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:47:14 +0100
Hi Murray

Thanks for the interesting post.

> due to the near extinction of the raspberry industry,

I thought that raspberries were still big business in Scotland - plenty from
Scotland in our supermarkets, even though they are grown here in the
Midlands.

> Then there is the heather to be migrated to after

The colony in the picture went to the heather and collected 50lbs.

> However, I do have pics of colonies up to 8 Langstroth deeps tall too, on
> the heather in 2006 (blossom honey previously removed).

That is certainly good - we never seem to get more than around 60lbs at the
heather, but we do not prepare the colonies for it - just take reasonable
looking ones and put on two supers.  The heather is too far away for visits,
so it is possible that some would get more if they had the space.
Unfortunately, heather is not easy to sell down here (except to migrant
Scots).

> Now, as with your pics, I could give the impression that that is how I
> fare for crop, but that would be a false impression. All the dinks and
> duds, all the middle of the roaders, and all the top dogs (which are
> usually exceptional, or you and I would not normally be photographing
> them) go together to make your true harvest level.

I plead not guilty!  The picture was taken to go with the article which
pointed out the great contrast between colonies this year - and the caption
pointed out the small queenless colony in front of the tall one.  I wrote
'but the average will be kept down by the rags - colonies that failed to
mate a new queen and consequently dwindled to nothing'.  In fact, my average
this year dropped to 48lbs.

> Maybe in your area you are in the happy position of being able to
> accumulate a harvest over a protracted period,

In theory the season here can be quite long - and it has been in the past.
The problem now is that we (in common with everyone else) never know when,
or if, a flow will occur.  This year, for example, we had a wonderful early
spring - far too early - and colonies started to build well for the rape
which was well in flower before the end of April.  Then we were hit by
drought and there was nothing coming from the rape, even though it was in
full flower.  May brought rain - but far too much and there were cold
temperatures and high winds.  Colonies that had swarmed in late April failed
to mate new queens.  The poor conditions continued well into July, with
colonies looking very sorry for themselves.  It was only late July and early
August that saved total disaster.

> But we will still have >26 tonnes of heather honey

Very nice - but as you said, it is the average that counts and you did not
tell us that :-)

> the old timers I met as a youngster said 'heather eats bees'

Certainly eats the old ones - but that may not be a bad thing - and it does
produce a flush of young bees for the winter.  In 27 years, there have only
been 2 when our heather colonies were not the best in the following spring.

> Early and late flying is a thing I thought was an advantage in the past,

I am not convinced that this is always desirable.  Higher risk for little
reward; not many bee plants (if any) produce nectar copiously at low
temperatures.

> FWIW, John Whent,...a man who gets 100 tonnes with only himself and two
> helpers.

Certainly is impressive by any standards I would have thought, but do we
know his average (based on autumn count)?

> he has Borage to go to,

Borage can really skew the figures.  This year my nearest borage was about 4
miles away, so little effect, and I do not move to it.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/