From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2016 12:40:02 -0600
But to claim you have the ability to control your degree of success, if you
know what you are doing, is just plain fantasy, IMO.

WOW,  not sure how to even reply to that.
Everyday millions of farmers, ranchers, and beekeepers do EXACTLY that.
They plan for the contingencies.  None of the successful ones rely on luck.

I guess the only thing to say is those  who use luck,  get day jobs.   No
other way to put it.

Of course dealing with mother nature can change the picture from season to
season.  That's not luck,  that's reality. We grow almonds in CA  and
blueberries in Maine  not based on hoping for luck,  but knowledge and study
of what's practical.

This applies to beekeeping. The success of commercial guys is not based on
luck.  In fact I personally find it insulting to even consider it.  Keeping
bees alive,  that's what professionals call work.  Every one of the guys out
there, most of which are better than me by a long shot and busting their
butts,  planning and working and studying details. Yea we may make the
comment "we got lucky"  but it's nowhere near the truth. Long hours  hard
work.  Period,  and having some of the toughest jobs in my past,  I can tell
you beekeeping is right up their when it comes to hours and  hazards.  Just
short of getting shot at for a living.   But it's not luck.

You mentioned Randy supplementing his income. I am sure he can speak for
himself,  but you miss the mark widely.  First of  the "incomes" from
writing and presenting are hardly confiscatory.  Second,  I have seen Randys
yards and talked to him a bit.  I am quite sure he is capable of running any
amount of hives he wants to get the balance of income he desires.   WE as a
beekeeping community are privileged that Randy would take the time to share
his work with us,  trying to make all of us better beekeepers, and of course
he's not the only one.

I know from experience these speaking engagements and articles take more
time than they are worth in cash value any day. I know most of the serious
beekeepers shy away from them on a large scale.   A good friend of mine who
is the second largest beek in the US,  just did one last fall.  First time
in 25 years.   He's typical.  So I thank Randy any way I can for being
willing to share, and to push us to get better.  I am darn sure with his
skills he could find a better paying gig.

But back to luck,  Most beekeepers would just shake their heads and say yea
sure,  Like Jaunse did.  But I know at the end of the day its not true.
Hard work, and careful planning are what make success. To imply otherwise is
sadly misinformed.

Not sure if you read ABJ, there's an article in there this month I wrote,
about an experience in OK,  you could call it bad luck.  I wouldn't,  and
despite horrible weather and other issues,  the bees did fine and were
healthy.  We treated for mites and kept them feed,  and checked queens.  In
the rain. Its not in the story,  but I lost 3 toenails to foot problems from
being wet every day,  that's work,  not bad luck.

It's a weird topic I guess,  debating luck,  but we have a huge problem
headed forward if we want believe our future, as beekeepers (or any
endeavor) are based on "luck"  I find it disappointing that you actually
believe that.  I had hoped it was just an unfortunate choice of words.  I am
quite sure you worked hard to get your job, and tenure,  I would never have
attributed that to "luck"  and would hope you would have the same opinion of
the others around you,  especially those in this industry, as I know just
how hard a career choice it can be.

Back to the Hackenburg  "luck" when you step back and look at the big
picture you see things a bit differently.

Charles