From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2012 07:09:21 -0800

> > I would like to discuss:
> 1.  splitting techniques for those with an early honey flow - our honey
> flow is over by June 1
> 2.  Frame selection techniques for nuc making - list the types of frames
> you select to make up nucs and how many bees you add
> 3.  Move the nucs away or leave them by the mother hive - pros and cons
> 4.  Replacement frames for nuc pull-outs, foundation vs drawn comb

I'm surprised that no one bit on this, Bill!

We have a fairly early flow in the foothills, but not as early as yours!

Here are some points to keep in mind.

   1. A colony is at its fastest growth rate from about 6 -  11 frame
   strength.  So if you want to split prior to early flows, yet produce the
   most amount of bees, keep the bees in this strength range.
   2. On the other hand, it is more bee-efficient to mate out queens in
   smaller nucs.
   3. Nuc size is dependent upon temperature--the warmer it is, the smaller
   the possible mating nuc.
   4. You can always combine splits back together once the main swarming
   season has passed.

I dare not speak for other areas, but what works for me is to split deep
brood chambers into 4-frame nucs, either in 5-frame boxes, or with a
division board in a deep box (my preferred for splits for myself, as
opposed to for sale).  Two frames brood, one honey, one drawn comb, with
plenty of bees to cover.  Move immediately to new yard, or bring strong
colonies to that yard to immediately split.

At two weeks, check for mate out.  Combine any whose queen patterns don't
look great.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA