From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:25:33 EST
Kim wrote:
<< ...every experienced beekeeper has observed this behavior in sawdust piles
and bird feeders. >>

And John Mosko wrote:
<<A key point is that Surround Crop Protectant is rarely applied during bloom
periods.>>
and
<<On top of that, the film would have to directly hit and presumably cover the
flower; and then the adult would have to carry it back to the hive.  (Since
the bees forage directly in the flower, prebloom coatings that remain on
leaves or branches would not affect them.)>>

   Thanks Dave. Did Mosko say whether this product is classified as a
pesticide? If so, this substance will have to go through the same EPA
approval process that any other pesticide does. A pesticide, by definition,
is toxic to life. Even the organic pesticides are designed to kill something.
That's why, by law (I'm going from memory here since my reference material is
in storage), it's illegal for an applicator to advertise in the yellow pages
that they use "safe" pesticides. Since this product is more of a deterrent,
how is it classified?
   Kim is referring to observations of honey bees gathering a substance that
is nowhere near an open bloom. Why they do this is not known or has been
studied scientifically (that I am aware of), but it is theorized that it may
have something to do with the similar size of the particles to pollen. Hence,
the speculation that this behavior might carry over to clay particles.
   Also, while the product may not be sprayed during bloom, as is sometimes
the case in apple orchard pesticide kills, it may drift onto other blooming
flowers on the floor of the orchard.