From:
Guillermo Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:07:07 -0700
For the last few months since I discovered BEE-L I have enjoyed
much of what all of you have to say about beekeeping. An I have
learn a lot since.  I'm a novice at this hobby.  Many years ago
while growing up in the mountains of Nicaragua, Central America
(I returned to Nicaragua in 1991 after 16 in exile) my
grandfather was a beekeeper, Italian bees at the time.  I became
interested in the subject but do to the revolution I had to leave
the country and the farm, which was later confiscated by the
communist regime with everything in it.

Back in Nicaragua now, last year I decided to go
back into beekeeping, and I did about six months ago.
Now I have 6 Africanized Honey Bees Hives.  That
is the only kind in Nicaragua now, they came in 1984.  And they
are aggressive, very, very aggressive.  On a cloudy day I get
over 100 stings in my suit, easily!  And some of them go through
my suit.  Last Saturday with Hurricane Lily passing close by,
when I went to feed my bees (it is the rainy season down here)
one of the beehives swarmed at me and my 10 year old son just by
standing by and talking low.  It was scary, but we were
protected.

My question is:  How can I get their aggressiveness down?  I was
thinking of importing queens, but that could bring the verroa
down here.  Bees are fairly healthy and we don't really have a
bee illness to worry about.  Can anyone help?

The honey season starts in late November here and finishes in
April.

Regards,

Guillermo Jacoby
AHBeekeeper from Nicaragua