Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 09:08:30 -0500
> What say the subscribers to the list with regards to what elements need
> to go in to a convincing scientific study on the supposed benefits to
> keeping bees on small cell foundation?

Longer term studies with colonies are quite difficult, expensive and
increasingly subject to error as time passes.  Survival, queen loss, and
other confounding factors flood in and make analysis and conclusions
subject to question.

A reasonable assumption is that a shorter term study should show at
least a hint of the effect sought, and any done so far have shown the
opposite as often -- or more often -- as any positive effect.

Additionally, any really educated and experienced bee scientist who
might be expected to run such a study is aware of the origins of this
popular delusion and also aware of the worldwide observations of natural
cell sizes made on natural combs and previous to the AHB migration into
the US.  Most are also aware of the amazing coincidence that a 'small
cell' effect was 'discovered' in Tucson at the very time that AHB was
known to have invaded Tucson, and by the very people who were catching
AHB swarms all around town.

Some AHB varieties are known to be tolerant of varroa and resistant to
various bee diseases, but the AHB arriving from Mexico unfortunately are
not particularly productive or manageable.  They swarm often and have a
temperament that makes them unwelcome almost everywhere.

What I am saying is that all the scientists of any calibre that I know
are reluctant to devote time to this topic since they know that all
previous evidence suggests small cell is a fable at best, and a hoax at
worst.

They also know that no matter what they do, unless their results confirm
a positive effect, that they will be attacked by the small cell
proponents.

The bee/varroa interaction is quite complex, and varies over time and
place. It is not easy to observe.   What is observed at one time and
place may not be observed in another.

A few reputable scientists have done some preliminary work to
investigate the possibility of an effect, hoping to justify further
work, but had to conclude that any positive effect seen temporarily is
simply an illusion, as the opposite effect occurs as often or even more
so.  Jennifer Berry approached the topic with an open mind and early on
in her work was hopeful, but found as time passed that there was nothing
there and gave up.

Small cells in wild comb were the indicator of Africanization all along
the migration route and bait boxes were set out to monitor the progress.
  Small cells were the indication of arrival.

Time passes and memory fades.  New people with no knowledge of history
grow up and are easy prey for those with counter-establishment tales and
conspiracy theories.  If there is a conspiracy, it is small cell, not
the obverse.

As Barnum said, there is a sucker born every minute, and many people
would prefer to believe an elaborate story than the boring truth and the
evidence right in front of their eyes, and this is the perfect fable.

Small cell can be tested any way one cares to and disproven many times,
but the believers will still believe.

That said, there is a case to be made for using cells to suit the bees
that you have.  My experience indicates that for me, 5.2 -- Roots
eventual cell size -- is about right.

5.1, his original choice is a bit small, 5.0 is difficult to have drawn
properly and 4.9 is just too small (for me).  The 5.35 and 5.4 sizes
work well for honey and work fine for brood, but in our test a few years
ago, 5.25 worked best for us.  We did not try anything smaller at that
time although, I had some of the first 4.9 plastic comb ever (AFAIK)
made.  The results of drawing it are pictures on my site.

If the same comb is to be used for brood and honey supers, conventional
foundation is a good compromise.  Smaller cells are harder to extract
due to capillary action.

Anyhow, I doubt that a trial could be designed that would put the
question to rest.  Faith trumps evidence for many.