From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2015 12:55:09 -0600
What the earnest young man on the You-Tube video neglected to discuss was
the fact that much neonic  use these days is prophylactic, and unnecessary.
If we were able to just reduce excess useage of neonics and other chemicals,
it would not affect the ability to "feed the world", no matter what our
individual views might be on the reality that our human population is
expanding out of proportion to what the planet can easily tolerate.

While I appreciate the input and the references,  unfortunately this
statement is simply misguided at best.

Do tell how you could apply a systemic pesticide after you decided there is
a problem??
The statement that preventive pesticides are unnecessary  is just  a comment
taken for granted with no real world experience in farming.  When do you
decide?  After root worms have cut down 20% of the yields?  When earworms
have been found in 20 % of the crop?  Most pest as we know them are not
readily obvious until much of the damage is done.  While monitoring your
garden for tomato worms is easy,  watching 1000 acres is a bit harder.

Systemics  are designed to precisely target those pest, the ones that cause
problems. and then disappear into the environment with no harm.
If you don't (as a pest) feed on treated plants,  then your safe.  So far,
we see that pest that feed directly on plants are effected,  and little
transfer in pollens and nectars.   You can't get much better than that.

There are a cpl of other things  to consider.  Fungicides,  and herbicides
are the usual tank mixes,  not pesticides.  While you can debate all day
long on the usage, the fact is once the fungus has started,  its very hard
to stop.  Keeping it in check is the key.  Many times herbicides are mixed
at the same time to conserve application.    Most of this is used on food
crops,  apples,peaches, nuts,  etc.  because customers demand it.  Nobody
looks for the lettuce head with a little bit of brown or chewed leaves.  We
look and buy only perfect fruits and veggies.  Any who say otherwise are
lying.

One other factor to ponder, the numbers of these that are doing these
witches brews, are very small. It is by far and away not the normal to mix
up things that are not approved and designed to work together.  I don't have
numbers but I would bet my lunch money we are talking about a 1-2% issue
here.  Probably more people belive in a flow hive, than doing chemical
cocktails that are not approved.

Very easy to cast stones from the keyboard,  very hard to actually present a
solution.  Try proposing a population control, and see where it gets you.
Figure that one out and we can farm less, and allow the bugs and rodents to
eat more.

Charles