From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:53:52 -0300
Carl Webb wrote " ... The results were impressive in that mites do prefer
the small cell..." "I assume this is in agreement with the study by
Randy Oliver."

I am a bit confused here, I tough the whole idea behind small cell was that
mites did NOT prefered small cell. Where did I got lost? which study of
Randy?

This BTW reminds me of an not-on-purpose sort of experiment.

I run two types of bees in search for the "perfect hybrid". I have a bunch
of italian (Canadian Tabor origin, plus Cordovan) and a bunch of carnics
(australian origin). The rest are F1 hybrids.

Well two years ago I run out of wax foundations, so I went to the market and
bougth what I could find. I found a nice "organic wax" foundation. I bought
500 kilos, that plus the 1000 kilos of the "traditional" foundation I use
commonly made my need for that season. I did not measure the size of the
cell cause it came from a respectable beek.

Well when I placed that "organic foundation" on some of my hybrid colonies I
end up mostly with droone brood, but on others the bees build nicely for
workers. Intrigued with that "strange behaviour" I measure the cell size and
vuala!. My traditional foundation was 5.26 and the organic was 5.88. Now I
use that organic foundation to test for the balance of carnic versus italian
strain.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.