Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:04:32 GMT
>>As a personal friend of MeBurney (died in August at age 106) I can attest he
was firm believer in exercise. He said exercise was the key ingredient. He
also told me that he had never smoked a cigarette or taken alcohol in his
entire life.

We have the genetics of our hunter-gatherer ancestors who averaged 10 miles a day in search of food and shelter.  Know anybody who covers 10 miles?  Our bodies are designed for activity.

Most people live only as long as their major organs.  Keeping your major organs in shape and healthy is key to longevity.  Your heart, for one, is a pump that's genetically designed for only so many cycles.  If you exercise vigorously you can bring your resting heart rate way down and strecht those cycles over a longer period of time and thus extend your life.

Genetics do influence lifespan but, in this day and age, lifestyle choices - food quality, exercise, stress - are a bigger factor.

Overexercising their wings, unfortunately shortens the bees' lifespan but that's another topic...

Waldemar