From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 02:55:41 -0700
> ... It seems you can put a hive top over them, do they allow
> for an upper entrance or do you use the holes drilled in the brood
chamber?
> What extra R-value do they provide? I like the way they look and seem easy
> to make, are there any tips you can give about there construction? I
assume
> the bees glue them down to the top of the hive and seal it for you?

All this and more is documented on the site at
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/Diary/, with complete illustrations.
Although it may take some digging around to find it all, using the Google
toolbar ( http://toolbar.google.com/ ) on your browser makes searching
within any website simple and there is the 'Selected Topics' link on the
page that points to the most significant references.  Additionally, October,
November and December diary pages have comments on wraps and wrapping.

R factor I measured at about 3, as I recall.  We use two pillows for winter,
giving about R6 which seems adequate.  As for sealing, the lofting nature of
the pillow seals cracks and holes, but the pillow yields enough that bees
can cross over the frames.  We almost never scrape top bars anymore and
never need to scrape lids.  Lids can be in any condition and work fine.  The
pillows do get glued down a little, but peel up nicely in any weather for a
peek under a corner or for removal.

allen