Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2018 18:38:05 -0400
> Safe bacteria designed to help the honeybee suppress pathogens; Establish beneficial microflora; Helps increase bee colony health

The error is that manufacturers are trying to place "probiotics" on the same stage as antibiotics. Antibiotics, of course, have saved millions of lives by using natural toxins to kill harmful microbes in living organisms. Probiotics, on the other hand, are on the level of yogurt & vitamins.

I remember talking to a new beekeeper in NYC about feeding various supplements to bees. I asked her if she took all sorts of vitamins. When she emphatically answered Yes, I said: well, there you have it. I don't. Nothing is a substitute for a proper diet, no matter how expensive it is.

In case anybody is thinking I have painted this too black and white, well I have. There is a lot more to the "holobiotics" imbroglio than can be fit in a paragraph or two. But my mind tends to think "snake oil" first -- and "miracle cure" last. Another error is that just because bee supply companies stock it, it's worth buying. They stock what sells.

PLB