From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:07:15 -0500
Again the topic of GM has come up, and quickly gone afar from beekeeping.
To me, the discussion of the pros and cons of genetically modified organisms
strays far from "The Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee
Biology".

What started the discussion on BEE-L was the article from Joe Rowland
regarding a possible link between GM crops and AFB causing bacteria that is
resistant to oxytetracycline.  I know Joe, not well, but am getting to know
him better through a mutual involvement with the Empire State Honey
Producers Association (Joe is Secretary/Treasurer, I am newsletter editor).
By Joe's own admission, any link between GM crops and TM resistant bacteria
is PURE SPECULATION.  He has no smoking gun.  He sees a possible link and as
a commercial beekeeper, he feels the possible link
bears investigation.

Joe presented his concerns at the ESHPA fall meeting last November,
resulting in the adoption of the following two resolutions:

Resolution: Tetracycline-resistant genes in GM crops

Whereas, Tetracycline resistant American Foulbrood (AFB) has been detected
recently in
the United States, Canada and Argentina;
and Whereas, Some genetically modified (GM) crops contain tetracycline
resistant genes, and GM crops were cultivated in the US, Canada and
Argentina in the period during which tetracycline resistant AFB developed;
and Whereas, European research has indicated that horizontal gene transfer
from GM canola to bacteria within the intestines of honeybees does occur;
therefore be it
RESOLVED, that ESHPA requests that the FDA conducts research to determine if
horizontal gene transfer has occurred between GM crops and AFB.

Resolution: Proteinase inhibitors in GM crops

Whereas, The US beekeeping industry is an important contributor to the US
agricultural economy; and Whereas, Some European research has indicated that
proteinse inhibitors found in some genetically modified (GM) crops may have
deleterious effects on the lifespan and learning/olfactory capabilities of
adult honeybees;
and Whereas, Such effects could cause problems in colony organization and
foraging/pollination efficiency; therefore be it
RESOLVED, that ESHPA requests that USDA examines more closely the
relationship between proteinase inhibitors in GM crops and honeybees.

Please note that these resolutions do not say GM HAS CAUSED TM RESISTANCE!
Nowhere do they say that.  Nowhere has Joe said that.  Speculation!  I'll
say it again, Speculation!  I'll shout it this time, "SPECULATION!"
Personally I feel it's healthy speculation, resulting in resolutions that
call for investigation.

Speculation?  Investigation!  Say it again with me, Speculation?
Investigation!  One more time, make it our weekend mantra!  Speculation?
Investigation!

Joe speculates there's a link between TM resistance cropping up in different
parts of the world and GMOs.  Allen speculates the GMO link is hogwash and
can more simply be explained as contaminated honey from Argentina carelessly
discarded in Montana and Alberta.  I speculate that aliens landed their
flying saucer in Buenos Aries, it was during carnival so everybody thought
the aliens had radical costumes!  The aliens picked up some of that cheap
Argentine honey (they give it away free down there y'know!) and took off to
Montana, where they threw away the half empty jar, no, it was half full, I'm
optimistic!  So the TM resistance in Montana was caused by GMO induced TM
resistance transferred from Argentina, but then the aliens stopped to visit
Allen Dick (who is really an alien too), and when they flew off to return to
their home planet, their reactor leaked some radioactive anti-matter which
caused AFB causing bacteria to mutate and become resistant to oxytet too.
So the TM resistance in Alberta is caused by radioactive mutations!  This
ain't speculation, it's the truth.  Hell, it's published here on BEE-L so
damn, it must be gospel!

Speculation?  Investigation!  Do some DNA sampling on resistant bacteria in
Canada.  Do some DNA sampling on resistant bacteria in Montana.   Do some
DNA sampling on resistant bacteria in Argentina.  Compare the results.  What
will we find out?

Until then, use BEE-L for "The Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and
Bee Biology".  Don't use it to assassinate characters, don't use it to shout
down someone with whom you don't agree, don't use it to turn speculation
into gospel truth, unless it'll keep those damned aliens back on Mars where
they belong!

Aaron Morris - thinking BEE-L is being abused!