From:
Stellio Matson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 10:44:14 -0700
Randy Oliver wrote:

> I recently posted that some Midwestern states have
> excessively high winter mortality rates of late.

Yes some states Randy (Iowa, Illinois), but not all.
Here is a map of corn acres planted by county in 2010
vs. a map of total colony loses by state during the
fall 2009 to winter 2010 that I lifted from this report:
http://ibra.live.subhub.com/articles/US-bee-loss-survey-2009-10

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/4ALC/cornbees.jpg

As you can see, even though moderate to high amounts
of corn are grown in Nebraska, the Dakotas, Minnesota
and Wisconsin the total colony losses were relatively low
to moderate.

And loses were moderate to high from West Virginia
and up through the New England States even though
the corn acres planted were low.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.