From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:30:20 -0500
Obviously, Brian is getting more money for his honey than the average
American beekeeper.  I also think it’s obvious that the quality of his
honey is better than average.

As an aside, I don’t mean to dispute Bill’s statement that tests of organic
and non-organic honey have shown no differences at all, but I don’t think
we should limit our definition of quality to what we can prove in a lab.
Moreover, I think any definition of “quality” that only looks at the end-
product will be self-defeating.  In other words, I think our definition
of “quality” needs to take into account what the production of the honey
has done to the beekeeper, to the land, to the community, to the suppliers
and laborers, and even to spotted owls and the other “global” issues of the
organic left field.  The problem with the left field is not that they
consider how things impact spotted owls, but that they give more weight to
the needs of spotted owls than to their neighbors.  All this to say that
it’s in this holistic sense that I say the quality of Brian’s honey is
better.

As another aside, I also don’t mean to dispute the claims of dishonest
marketing and behind the scenes cheating.  I can see that from the
customer’s perspective, looking at a jar of honey on a shelf in a suburban
strip mall, an “organic claim” may have very little “organic substance.”
And that’s a valid complaint, but I’d like to take our perspective, the
beekeeper’s perspective, and we do know how we manage our own hives.

So to get back to Brian’s claim that the “sustainable” way to keep bees is
to sell high dollar (very high dollar) honey to suburbanites, I strongly
object, despite the fact that he’s presumably making very good money while
avoiding a number of objectionable “shortcuts” that a lot of other
beekeepers take.  First of all, I don’t think we can say
we’re “sustainable” and at the same time say: “whether a farmer buys my
honey or not is of no concern to me.”  I asked before, what quality do
suburbanites possess that farmers lack?  A couple answers I could suggest
are ignorance and paranoia.  If Brian isn’t able to sell to farmers because
they’re in more of a position to judge the real value of his product, then
I’m seeing red flags.

A “sustainable” product, or in other words a “sustainably” produced
product, is “sustainable” because it doesn’t come at anyone or anything
else’s expense.  A sustainable product isn’t just a conversion of a
depletable resource.  In other words, if the production of my corn requires
washing my topsoil down the Mississippi (i.e. depleting it), then my corn
production isn’t sustainable.  Or if my profits as a real
estate “developer” come at the expense of ruining the countryside, then
my “development” isn’t sustainable.  We can use things up/deplete them/mine
them, and we can make money doing so, but to say we’re “sustainable” is to
say that’s NOT how we’re doing things.

Likewise, it would not be sustainable for me to sell high dollar honey to
suburbanites if my gain comes at their loss.  This gets back to my question
about whether we, as beekeepers, would buy our own honey at our own prices
if we were in different shoes.  If we wouldn’t, it seems obvious to me that
the reason is that we know our honey isn’t really worth what we’re
charging.  I’m not denying any claims of the under-exploited “market
potential” of paranoid suburbanites with more money than they know what to
do with, but let’s call a spade a spade.  Taking advantage of suburbanites’
ignorance and paranoia by convincing them that our honey is worth more than
it is and thereby relieving them of their excess riches is
not “sustainable.”

The big variable in all this that I’ve mostly avoided defining is what my
or your honey is “really worth.”  Of course, we can’t answer that question
objectively, but we should have some perspective on the question.  Brian
said, “To me sustainable farming also includes the ability to make a decent
living.  The idea that food should be cheap has been ruinous to our
heritage and environment in this country.”  I very much agree that our low-
price mania with regards to food and everything else has been ruinous, but
I wonder how sustainable a solution we really want.  If we’re not going to
mass-produce things the cheap way, then we’re going to have less stuff.
What we have may really be worth more, but there’s going to be less stuff.
We can’t have our cake and eat it to, and if we think we can, then we’re
probably eating somebody else’s cake.

I’m all for being sustainable, but when it comes to pricing
our “sustainable honey,” we ought to also define “a decent living”
according to sustainable standards, which will probably mean our “decent
living” is more like our great-great-great-grandparents’ living than our
current neighbors’ living.  We just need to be consistent, unless what we
really are after is to get rich at somebody else’s expense.  In principle,
I really agree with a lot of Brian’s thoughts, but I suspect he’s
oversimplifying things.

Eric