From:
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 16:33:37 -0700
One of the best commercial beekeepers that I know used press in cages for
1200 colonies when re-queening.  He was handling lots of queens in small
wooden shipping cages and didn't like having them fly off - so he always
carried a bottle of warm water and a clear glass.  He'd get the frame out
of the hive, position the press in cage, then pop loose the staples on the
wooden queen cage  and  then he'd submerge the queen.

Didn't seem to hurt her, she usually slowed down a bit, and couldn't fly
with those wet wings.  Just a quick, but total submerging of the queen.

As for Andy's comments about wetting down loads - yep I agree, I will post
some charts later this fall showing how much the colonies cooled down
while on road heading for Maryland.  We mounted a switch under the dash,
used an electric pump to "mist" the colonies.  Cooled down fast
(temperatures dropped several degrees and stayed down for a surprising
time).

Bye for now, have 2-3 weeks of work in Maryland, so will not be on the net
for awhile.

Jerry Bromenshenk
The University of Montana