Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 12:01:20 -0400
> I am curious to know what other people prefer in terms of protection - not
> just from stings but from propolis and separation of bee clothes from
> families?

I wear XXXL lightweight cotton/polyester suits I bought well over ten years ago.
I have four.  The bee supply was blowing them out at a huge discount as they
were too big and too lightweight for most people. Most like their suits heavy
and close-fitting.  I don't.  I wear them for sun protection as much as anything,
but they do protect from dirt and honey.  I like them loose so that, as my wife
said once to someone, that the bees can fly around inside.  A light, loose suit
is much cooler and more sting-proof than a tight, heavy suit.

I wash the suit I wear every time I wear it for more than an hour.  I like suits
white and clean.  When we had staff, we used a linen service and we all
changed suits daily.  Looks good when about the community.  After all, this
we are handling food.

I wash my own clothes and my wife is a beekeeper.  We have no kids at home.

>  How do the one piece hooded veils hold up?  How easy are they to pull
>  back in order to see when driving from bee yard to bee yard?

Yes.  We gave up every other type once we tried them.  The downside is the
lack of sun protection from above.  We had Sherriff add a shade panel in place
of the top screen.  A ball cap provides a sweat band, and shades the eyes, but
gives no shade for the temples and is a problem when throwing back the veil
or pulling it forward, a skill that has to be learned with some patience, but
comes naturally after knocking the hat off a few dozen times.