From:
WILLIAM G LORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:21:10 -0400
Steve;

One simple choice is to run the occupants of the hive through a queen
excluder.  It is very disruptive but effective.  Set up a bottom board,
and empty super (you can put a frame of brood in it), and excluder, and
an empty super on top.  Open the hive and shake the bees into the top
box, applying steady smoke.  If the bees are really agressive you can
give them a dose of nitrous oxide (laughing gas) by placing a teaspoon of
sodium nitrate
fertilizer into a hot smoker and giving then give a few seconds of the
resulting gray smoke into the entrance.  They will just look at you when
you open the hive then.  Be careful with the fertilizer in the smoker as
the smoke has other, less pleasant components, and neither you nor the
bees need a big dose of it.

Bill

--
WILLIAM G LORD