From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:28:40 -0700
When I was in Africa, I would put on a light jacket, then the beesuit. The
jackets/sweaters with a hood are nice. You wear the hood with the top on
underneath the bee hat. Be sure to tuck your bee suit legs into your boots,
and wear thick socks. The other place you get stung is in the wrist/lower
arm area, so make sure the sweater is pulled down as far as you can and hold
it in place as you put the gloves on.

Another thing to keep in mind is to point your vehicle in the right
direction (out of there) before you start.

Also AHB can get very vicious even while away from the hive. This might be
the thing most different for you as a commercial American beekeeper. Once in
South Africa I had some stickies out by my door, about one mile from the 40
hive apiary. It was in an area where we only got 3 inches of rain per year,
and in summer so there was no food for the bees. We were in a little farming
settlement with 5 houses fairly close to each other. The bees went totally
crazy, and while robbing out the stickies not only stung us, but the
neighbors.