From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:17:18 -0600
> If you turned the honey into mead that should get rid of most
> contaminants as the yeast will just work on the sugars.  Then if you
> distil the mead it will leave any unpleasant residues behind.

Inasmuch as we don't really know what residues we might be facing, but
can speculate that they could include some of the nastier concoctions
that humans have devised for chemical warfare against insects (and man)
as well as common household poisons, we can not guess how they may vary
in their properties.  Nor can we guess with certainty what concentations
might be involved.

We do know that the insects seemed to be able to survive, and perhaps
thrive in the presence of the chemicals applied, BUT, bees are bees and
they live short lives compared to humans.  Moreover humans are not
likley to notice subtle or slow-acting effects on the bees, or if,
indeed, the bees are affected by the chemicals applied.

Sure, the honey is probably OK, and if any residues do exist in the
honey, and if they do have any effect on you, the effects will likely be
very subtle or take a while to manifest.  Maybe the residues are of a
sort that will cloud your judgement so that you are unable to see why
you should not consume more of the honey.  (For that matter, alcohol
alone can have that effect).

At any rate, what is your life and your health worth to you?  The price
of a few pounds of questionable honey?

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com