From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 18:51:29 -0500
Allen Dick wrote:

> Feeding extracted honey back is usually not a good idea.
>
> Yes, it can be done, but as often as not it brings up one problem or
> another.
>
> Usually it is done because sugar is not available or more expensive,
> or because the honey is in some way contaminated or inferior.
>
> In today's price environment -- with bees and honey at such a large
> premium over sugar, it does not make sense.  Better to throw out the
> honey than take a chance.
>
> Others will likely disagree -- and maybe it depends on region, but I
> have quit feeding back extracted honey entirely.  If it is not good
> enough for humans, I throw it out.  It isn't good enough for my bees.

I would pretty much agree with you Allen. The only time I feed honey back is when I have
extracted honey out of some deep frames for one reason or another and the honey was
not ripe or ready for extraction. It wouldn't matter then if it gets stored up in the supers
or not. Some times you'll get a frame that smells sour that I know was in the hive over the
winter and I will dump this honey out but if I know the honey from the comb was just put
in, I'll keep it.

-Barry

--

 Barry Birkey