From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:54:13 -0600
Ostensibly an excerpt from The Scottish Bee Keeper October,1998 Vol.75
No.10 (received via the 'net from Adrian or someone claiming to be him):
>>"Ignore the internet! On this the panel was unanimous, the reason being
>>that any idiot has access to it and every idiot adds his ha'penny worth
>>of nonsense so that it becomes very difficult to sift the wheat from
 >>the chaff."

Apparently From:  Madeleine Pym <[log in to unmask]  or
someone claiming to be her (also  received via the 'net):
> I  was also there at Gormanston and attended the discussion of varroa
> which was set up rather impromptually, as a response to the recent
> discovery of varroa in Sligo.
>
> The panel was made up of 'practical' beekeepers, which is my main point.
> Yes, a member of the panel did say to take no notice of advice given on
> the internet, and I did wonder whether he was familiar with the BEE-L, or
> merely basing his 'knowledge' on experience or rumour of other
> information services relating to other topics, where possibly the
> 'informational' content might be in question.

Now here we apparently have a conflict between 'The Scottish Beekeeper'
and a member of our internet group who claims to be an eyewitness.  From
her account, it *seems* _only_ one panel member said ' to take no notice
of advice given on the internet'.  However, she makes no *specific*
mention of agreement by others, so I am still left guessing...

Language is tricky and what is not said can be as important as what
is.  Whom to believe?  Does it matter how one hears of things?  I only
know anything of this matter via the internet.  I have never seen 'The
Scottish Beekeeper'.  Should I therefore discard it?  Both stories seem
credible.  Should I now doubt the bee press and base my beliefs on the
words that come down the internet?  Guess not, my evidence has been
received by the 'net itself.  Hmmmm.

In the case of the internet, I am sure my questions will soon get answers.
 From whom I will never be exactly certain. One or more of the responses
may contain the truth or something very close to it.  I'll be able to
weigh the various points of view in light of my own knowledge.  If I were
to query The Scottish Beekeeper and solicit comments on its response via
traditional channels, it would take months if it ever happened at all.

We get lots of ideas on the 'net.  If we are gullible, we will soon
overload and become very confused.  The 'net is like a smorgasbord.  Take
a little of each and try it and then go back for what suits you best.   It
is not wise to try to eat all of everything though.  It's nice to have a
choice.

In any case, it is wise to follow the old adage, "Don't believe anything
you hear (read!) and only half of what you see".

Our neighbour's quote says it best... 'Test everything.  Hold onto the
good'.

As for robbing, it ain't a problem in my neighbourhood, and we can get
away with such things.  Maybe it's the climate, the time of year, how we
do it, the strain of bees...   I don't know.

Allen
---
Newsflash!  Visit http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm
to search BEE-L archives the easy, easy way or to
update or change your subscription options.
---