From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 23:20:03 -0600
> Ps. I do find it curious that my friend Allen Dick is using the
*shoehorn*
> to downsize his bees to 4.9mm after  all the posts about he had found the
> perfect cell size at 5.1mm.

Well, you may find it curious, but not half as curious as I find it myself,
but there is method in my apparent madness.  Things may not be quite what
you assume.  Let me explain.

First, I'm not planning to downsize my bees.  Joe bought some 4.9
foundation, and Dee is sending me some of the plastic, so what am I to do?
Let it go to waste?  I have noticed that some of my hives have bees that
are smaller than others, and it seems intereresting to me to see if they
will draw the foundation.  I read BioBee for a while and others have
reported that they have had success, so why not me?

Second: I understand that there is a a natural distribution in bee sizes
due to both genetic and evironmental factors. When I refer to 5.1 as
appearing to be very near the median size for the *natural* size of cells
built by bees I manage, it is very important to understand that I tend to
think statistically, rather than in integers, even if I do not mention
deviation. Moreover, I understand that there may not be a single
population -- and thus multiple medians.

Third: The problem also has recursive elements and is thus the type that is
well suited to cut-and-try, bracketing, and other empirical approaches.
Theory gets much too complex to quickly to be a reliable guide.  Trials are
quick and should be somewhat conclusive if done correctly.

Fourth: I am hopelessly open-minded.  I argue with people who have
interesting ideas just to listen closely to any points they make that have
merit so I can adopt their understanding as my own.  I listen even more
carefully to points that seem to lack merit, and try to imagine how they
could seem logical to the person proposing them.  Then I try to put myself
in that person's shoes and try doing things this 'wrong' way -- just to
see.

Lastly: I am constantly trying to prove my own favourite understandings are
wrong.  If proving me wrong is lots of fun, why allow someone else that
pleasure -- when I can have it all for myself?

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/