From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:00:45 -0700
This may be of interest to the Canadian beekeepers on the list, and many US
beekeepers, too:

--

Dear Beekeeper

Oxalic acid has recently been registered in Europe for the treatment of
varroa mites. Small scale trials in Canada show that it is a useful tool in
an Integrated Pest Management program.

There are a number of good reasons for registering oxalic acid in Canada:

  1. oxalic acid is showing great promise in field trials in Ontario, Quebec
and New Brunswick.

  2. oxalic acid is not a synthetic chemical and will not accumulate in the
food chain

  3. establishing an official procedure and an MRL for oxalic acid reduces
the risk of residues that might result from incorrect dosage or timing.

  4. oxalic acid has been registered in Europe and the data package is
available to our industry for registration in Canada - for a fee.

  5. The PMRA would accept the European data in addition to Canadian trials.

  6. CHC is a not for profit corporation and if we are the registrant in
this process, the PMRA has informed us that we may apply for a reduction in
the registration fees. This would be a saving to our industry as there would
be no fees charged back to the beekeepers or suppliers.

Since oxalic acid is readily available there is no economic reason for a
drug company to pursue the registration of oxalic acid. The CHC would like
to facilitate the registration of oxalic acid but we need your help to
accomplish this task.

The estimated cost of the project is $30,000 including fees for the data
package, PMRA registration fees, preparation time, consulting fees and
travel to pre-submission meeting.

The estimated saving to beekeepers in pesticide reduction is $4 per hive per
year. We are requesting a donation of $0.20 per hive (eg. $100 for 500
hives) from all beekeepers.

The CHC will approach corporate sponsors who are willing to partially
support the registration process but we believe that the majority of the
funds should be from those who benefit most- the beekeepers of Canada.

In order to start the application process as soon as possible we need your
contribution by January 31st.

The CHC receipt issued for contributions received can be used as an eligible
business expense. Please make the cheque payable to the CHC and indicate in
your letter that it is for the oxalic acid registration project. The oxalic
registration fund will be kept separate from other monies and all payments
in and out of the fund will be carefully accounted. Thank you for your
support.

Heather Clay
Canadian Honey Council
Suite 236, 234-5149 Country Hills Blvd NW Calgary AB T3A 5K8
ph. 403-208-7141 fax 403-547-4317
www.honeycouncil.ca