From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:38:03 EDT
My reply about organic beekeepers and CCD was to the person who asked  "WHO
are the organic beekeepers", not what percentage used chemicals.  The
challenge was to NAME beekeepers.

As per who used what chemicals and how, that's a full treatise unto  itself.
It ranges from no chemicals, to 'organically accepted chemicals',  to so
called soft chemicals -- from label approved chemicals, to everything ever
mentioned on this list, and yet another 20 or so chemicals that don't appear  in any
of Bee-L discussions.   And don't ask me for the  list, some of the things
were frightening.

However, none of the beekeepers chemical treatments correlated with  CCD, so
not much sense stirring up everyone.  My comment, not using  chemicals is
admirable, but it doesn't magically protect your bees  from CCD.  My biggest
surprise, why more beekeepers don't have  more problems with chemical toxicity,
since the amounts, kinds, and  mixtures of beekeeper treatments was down right
amazing.

The old Pogo refrain " We have met the enemy and he is us" certainly  applies
to some of the junk being dumped into beehives by beekeepers.   Downright
lucky that more bees aren't lost due to beekeeper over-dosing, home  brews, and
MIXTURES.

And, the internet does not help.  Used to be, there was the local font  of
all information who recommended things like illegal  chemicals and influenced
their neighbors.  Now, someone in one  part of the world may start a run on
using something in any other place, with no  testing, nor knowledge of outcome.

Jerry

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.