Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:49:54 -0400
John Caldeira wrote:
>>9.  Butyric acid (Bee Go) really stinks.  It works great, and is the
best
way for most hobby beekeepers to clear bees from the supers because the
bees
don't get as angry as brushing or blowing them, but that smelly fume
board
belongs behind the garage or someplace near the fence when you're
done.<<
I am in my fourth season of having bees. In past years, Bee-Go has
worked. This year, however, it didn't. A couple of weeks ago, in
removing honey supers, I had a lot of open burr comb, and the bees
refused to leave it, even in the presence of Bee-Go. I finally had to
remove each frame and brush the bees off, an exhausting process.

A few days ago, I removed my one super of Ross Rounds. There was no open
honey this time. With the rounds on top of the hive, I put the fume
board on for 10-15 minutes, and didn't noticeably move any bees. I put
that super
off onto an empty super on the ground and applied the fume board again
after smoking the bees off the top. 15 minutes later, the space under
the fume board was full of bees. I resorted to using a blower.

Has anyone else had this experience with Bee-Go? Or are my bees
peculiarly resistant or addicted to it?

Alan Fiala