From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:52:58 -0400
Jerry wrote:
he never heard of queen supercedure following supering for honey.  Neither
had we, but we've documented it.

Haven't done formal tests, so don't know the cause.

Dee has her theories about cell size and orientation with respect to mites.

In all fairness, you really haven't backed up your statements any better
than Dee. You said you have tons of data, but was it published somewhere?
Where? I'd like to look at some numbers and methodology.

Also, studying supersedure may be one of those things that is affected by
the very study of it. In other words, frequent opening the hive may actually
contribute to early supersedure, as well.

Certainly, people have the sense that bees may "blame" the queen for various
problems, most of which are "not her fault." I wonder if any one has studied
the affect of not opening the hives too often...

pb