From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:24:07 -0400
Barb Miller wrote:

> Gentlemen ~
> The grease patties with mineral salt and wintergreen are used for both
> varroa and trachael mites
snip
>  Perhaps you could get in touch
> with Dr. Amrine for further details.  The Url again is:
> http://rnoel.virtualave.net/2000/index.htm

Thank you, Barb.

Interesting experiment. Of interest is the patties are used in
conjunction with open mesh floors to get Varroa drop without
reinfestation. It
appears they have a steady state of about 5% infestation after the
initial mite drop. And you need to add patties every two weeks, so a bit
labor intensive. They also have a caveat at the end, "Note: This
treatment is only in the experimental stage and is, by no means, a claim
for a cure", which is refreshing where we have so many "certain" varroa
cures.

I have read other treatments tested by Dr. Amrine and find him credible.
He does not hype his findings but is fairly cautious.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Thymol were
substituted for Wintergreen.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine USA