From:
James Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:18:58 +0100
 Tom Barrett wrote:

> Should I treat only those hives with major
> infestations (and with a lot of brood), and not treat those with light
> infestations or no apparent infestations? And what constitutes a major
> infestation and what constitutes a light infestation? I would imagine that a
> three mite drop is a light infestation.
>
> So many questions arise when you are actually looking at the mite!
>
> Any comments appreciated.

If you haven't seen it already, you may find our advisory leaflet
'Managing Varroa' (download from:
http://www.csl.gov.uk/prodserv/cons/bee/factsheets/ ) a useful source of
information. It gives practical advice on monitoring and controlling
varroa, which although intended for beekeepers in England and Wales
should still be relevant for Irish conditions.

James

--
James Morton

South-Eastern Regional Bee Inspector