Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:49:32 PST
Hello Gang,

Thank you to all who replied to my southern beekeepers looking for
bloom thread.

Things are heating up fast here in New England. I live in a mountainous
region at an elevation of 1100 feet. This week had some early arrivals,
very early as a matter of fact.

Snow fleas were spotted on the 22nd, Evening Grossbeaks on the 23rd,
a pair of sparrows tried to start a nest on my porch today, and a friend
of mine had a 50 gallon sap run yesterday.( For Maple syrup)

We saw a Pileated Woodpecker today eagerly digging out grubs in a dead
tree.

February has an interesting almanac too.

Out of the past 24 days, 15 had high temps above 32.
Four days had temps, over 40, hence bee flight. Not bad for the mountains
of New Hampshire. It's raining now and the snow is disappearing fast.

The bees are doing well too. One hive has all but finished off an 8 OZ.
pollen pattie that went on a couple of weeks ago during a 2 hour
window of opportunity, as the temps hit 40. Over night temps are in the 20's.
I plan to receive my queens during week 15, (April 10 or so).

It will be an early spring again this year here in New England.
As soon as the bottom wire of the electric fence shows up from the
melting snow depth, I will start it pulsing. I know it's too early for
bears, but better a couple of weeks early than a day late!

Ernie Gregoire "Beekeeper," definition= partially brave,

                            partially excentric

Grist Mill Apiary

Canaan, NH. USA

02/24/99 14:49:32