From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2013 04:41:37 -0800
Almond pollination is the "tail the wags the dog" and we are no exception.

I've noticed that many beekeepers just stack up deadouts or duds throughout the summer months (or used to) and
just figure that they can make new hives up the next spring, or better yet, down in the southern states.

No more. Our crews carry queens until late summer and attempt to "fix" every single hive. Hives that are not "prime time" go down south to get more brooding time and pick up more weight in anticipation of pollination.

Our focus is keeping bees healthy and alive in lieu of making a summer honey crop. That means keeping mite populations in check and corresponding virus counts follow suit. We figure the honey will come if the bees are in good shape, all things considered.

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebookfor Kirk
Facebook for the Benzie Playboys