From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 08:09:20 -0400
>I think most UK beekeepers would find the idea of a top entrance really
>strange - even alarming - and your bees seem to agree.  Why do you use top
>entrances (as heat rises) and do they replace the bottom entrances?
>Kitta

Well, in this part of the world (New England, US), we can easily have 1 meter or more of snow on the ground for several months, which means the bottom entrances will be covered for extended periods of time.  Given enough time, the snow will eventually melt, but the bees can be sealed in for weeks at a time, especially during those winters, when we get several storms that dump 12 -15 cm of snow every few days.  When I worked locally, I used to just clear the entrances.  With all the travel I do now, I had to look at alternatives and several years ago began adding the top entrances.  The bees do fine with them, I think better than if they only had the bottom entrance.  Some colonies will go exclusively to using the top entrances only, while others will use both top and bottom all winter (weather permitting).  But all will use the top entrance.  Most will propolize the top entrance down to a one or two bee-sized opening, but they do leave it open.  Again, it varies.  This is the first time I have seen a colony completely seal it off.  In general, while I won't say that top entrances are popular over here, I believe they are common, at least for the winter in colder latitudes.  Others can weigh in.

So, in order to provide current info, I just went out to check the bees (45F/8C) in my bathrobe with a cup of coffee, in the process scaring two deer eating drops under one of my apple trees and a flock of turkeys scavenging the cornfield.  Whether it is the warm weather or robbing season is over or adjusting the internal hive thermostat/humidity or some other reason known only to the bees, most of the propolis in the top entrances has been removed.  Now, eight hives  have wide open entrances, two have entrances reduced about 25 - 33%, one has an entrance reduced to about two bee widths, and one has an entrance reduced to about one bee width, that one being the one that originally sealed the entrance completely.  So, while the openings vary in size, all hives have them open.....at least as of this morning.

Bill