Date:
Sun, 1 May 2011 17:31:45 -0700
>>However, I am often somewhat depressed to find that my posts seem to get
 minimal
>>response, which I believe results from the lists obsession with
 events in the US and
>>Canada .......

Hey Peter,
      Thought I would "respond".   The temps here have been in the 80ºF ranges for the past two weeks with lows in the 50's and 60's.   Has been really dry in the southern part of Alabama but the north part got hit really hard with horrible storms and F4 tornadoes.  Don't think they need rain at this time.
      Twice now I've been down to the coast, Pensacola, for a shopping trip and both times one of my hives swarmed.  This last time my mother-in-law's son got a beekeeping friend of mine to try to hive the swarm.  Unfortunately they used a fume board as a top cover because I didn't have any readily available.  Suffice it to say, when I got back that afternoon late, they were gone.  I suspect even the residual odor of the fume board was enough to drive them out of the hive.  So far this year the bees are ahead of me in swarms caught and swarms lost:  2 to 5.  Surely do wish I had been able to get the ones I missed.

Mike in LA
Located 1/2 way between Montgomery and Mobile, Alabama