From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:42:13 -0500
Chris Slade asked how do I know about my varroa mite levels?

- I do not know, but hope that I have some sort of indication about what
is present.

I started this season with 4 frame nucs.
Beginning of July, once fairly stable and fewer pressures, I started
slipping in sticky boards on a 2 week basis.
Counts were at zero, one or two mites over 48 hours. No higher.

Final counts just before winter treatment time still were giving these
low drop amounts.

I did not want to go into winter without a second opinion - wondering if
my "technique" was at fault, so with Manitoba's Provincial beekeeper,
alcohol washes were performed.
3 apiary sites, 5 colonies in each taking approx. 300 bees.

Result: 2 mites obtained.

The bees were washed twice.

Hearsay indicates that mite levels in the province are low - and I was
wondering why; if there was a time pattern, or some indicator that might
  predict if the overall population of varroa had some type of cyclical
nature.

For the prairies, the Canadian Association of Professional
Apiculturalist have produced on their website a indication of what the
"threshold values" are and what treatments to undertake depending on the
season and previous mite levels in colonies.

This has been complicated somewhat with the appearance of the so called
"resistant Mite" - leading to the recommendation to treat with
checkmite. I did not wish to do this unless pushed into the corner.

I have not yet been able to set up to get any sort of resistant bee
stock as present in the North Americas.

I am now aware that Russian stock is present in my area, that there are
beekeepers who are interested in the makeup of their colonies and are
not just honey harvesters.
There are also beekeepers who over several years have been trying to
direct their stocks to ones that are compatible to the harsh Manitoban
climate - and are now also trying to get resistance to varroa built in
as well.

Since I have only been here for several months, there are many details
that are unknown to me at present.

Peter