Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 14:17:45 GMT+0200
Hi All

To answer Carlo's question of how long hive live: I have removed a
hive which was just over thirty years old. I know of a place on a
cliff where there is a large beehive that goes into a crevice. More
thann two hundred years agon people built a ladder out of cedar logs
to the hive. Presumably they could only get the bit of the hive that
protruded out of the crevice. When I was there there were bees - so
bees have lived there for two hundred years - we don't know if there
were gaps in that period.

I also know of a hive in my town which is in an oak tree that has
apparently been there for about thirty years as well.

But on the whole I believe a colony will be it's strongest for about
ten years in a decent size cavity. After that it will being to have
too much black comb and being to smell - becoming grumpy and
unhealthy eventually dieing. Soon a hot day will result in the
uncooled hive falling apart with combs melting of the roof and it
will soonn be re occupied, bees building frech new combs and so the
cycle goes on.

Hope that is of help.

Keep well

Garth
---
Garth Cambray       Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

On holiday for a few months     Rhodes University
Which means: working with bees 15 hours a day!
Interests: Fliis and bees
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.