From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:47:49 -0500
Hello Everett & All,

> Here's my question.  When I mention corn syrup to other beekeepers I get a
> bad reaction.  Why does corn syrup have a bad reputation?

My help will be here in a few minutes so only able to give a few comments.

1. The industry used HFCS for years without issues then things changed. I do
not know what or why.

2. Experiments done at the Weslaco Bee Lab showed bees lived half as long
when fed HFCS. Two poisons were identified in HFCS.

3. Dr. Gregory gave programs presenting her results( ABF and AHPA) The bee
supply HFCS sellers protested . Bob Harrison did an article explaining her
results in ABJ. The industry for the most part switched to sucrose and
almost overnight our bees started doing better in all areas.

Very few now buy HFCS which is around a buck a gallon cheaper and all the
beeks I run with feel sucrose is worth the higher price.

Beware off spec syrup of any kind Everett!

Off to feed sucrose as winter is moving in fast this year. Meds done and
hope to finish feeding light hives by next week.

bob