Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:17:22 -0400
I wonder if I could clarify a couple of points?

I, for a while now, have monitor around 30 bee discussion groups on the
net. And I am still appalled at the amount of downright dangerous, duff,
and outright lunatic advice given in a number of those groups. Quite
often its the same author (or authors). But not always! Amazingly it
very regularly goes unchallenged by other contributors. But the most
amazing aspect is that individuals who seem to specialize in posting
articles which fall into one or other of the above categories collect an
adulation dispensing fan club! Sometimes it takes on the role of
protector!!!!

However, that said, I have to repeat here part of the information I give
to friends and colleagues inquiring about the net. Yes there are,
without question, a number of excellent contributors to bee newsgroups,
who give not only good advice, but well thought out advice and deeply
thought out at that. Indeed, watching the degree of individualization
(or customizing) of advice develop, makes monitoring, even from only an
educationalists point of view, a gratifying and rewarding experience.
But, it has also to be said, there are, to put it bluntly a very large
number of nutters on the loose on the net, and why not. And this group,
as well as other bee groups, is not immune to having its fair share. One
must, of course, not forget the hoaxers and downright wicked. Mind you I
have to admit that I do sometimes enjoy reading the streams of what
could be mistaken for pure paranoia about Federal Government secret
plans to spread Varroa, undermine the USA honey trade using foreign
producers, the use by the CIA, for spying, of bees fitted with cameras,
the Defence Depts role in the development of killer bees, of the arrival
of killer wasps, and more.

There is one other point I feel I have to raise, and raise it strongly,
and that is the total misunderstanding of and inappropriate response to
the word "expert". Every time the word "expert" is mentioned two things
happen, pandemonium breaks out, and the age old sterile battle between
"craftsman" and "scientist" re-commences. It is expressed in statements
such as "practice is better than theory". This conflict is not only
sterile but indeed counter productive to understanding. To the
craftsmen, I have to say this, not only do you use the scientific method
just as much as the scientist, both of you have contributed just as much
as each other to the disastrous situation beekeeping finds itself in. It
seems to me that quality beekeeping is a synthesis of theory and
practice one feeding back into the other. To rate one above the other is
to my mind a task for the medieval theologians amongst you, or for that
matter, the birds. We need each other more now than at any other time in
the past. Anyway, who are the "experts"? Practicing beekeepers, some
craft some science, quietly accumulating knowledge, and developing this
synthesis usually over a number of years. The rest...... To attack a
statement because or partly because the term expert was used is to my
mind not helpful.    To those of you who e-mailed me on this topic, I am
unrepentant, to my mind the panel of experts advice is, in general, well
founded and should be followed. Better to err on the side of safety than
have your bees done in by moth balls, hydrofluoric acid, mid-winter
inspections, or end up wasting your time following the Feds around with
a camera....etc to name but a few. Further more I will not stick my
******* **** up my ******* **** nor visit the ducking stool. Thankyou.

Regards,

David Graham.

!N3

--
Bye, for now!
_________________________________

              /  \     ,    ,
    _._     _ |oo| _  / \__/ \
   _||||   ((/ () \))   /  \
   |||||/|  ( ==== )    |oo|
    \____/  _`\  /'_    /  \
    /   /.-' /\<>/\ `\.( () )_._

In    : Strathclyde in Scotland.
Using : OUI News and Mail off-line reader.
From  : http://www.peaktopeak.com/
      : Treat yourself : Visit to-day!