From:
Kathy Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 02:04:50 -0400
> I'm not aware of any pollinator protection organizations
>themselves that are interested in promoting legislation limiting
>the size of new homes .....that consume pollinator habitat.

Of course not.
.. that would be a waste of human resources expending money and time which could be otherwise be targetted towards successful outcomes of increasing habitat on the ground where the likelyhood of push back is low, for ex. H.R.2381. H.R. 2381 only directs USDOT to assist states in implementing integrated vegetation management, including reduced mowing and native plantings. No new regulations or appropiated funding.. totally voluntary, state by state.

And btw, why is it encumbant on only pollinator advocacy to tackle unleased urbanization? There are dozens of wildlife conservation groups in the mix with far larger budgets than native pollinator groups. Xerces dedicates their resources to outreach efforts in the forms of printed resources and workshops all over the nation to both government and private land managers on best practices for bees and native pollinators.

>Instead, I've found out the leaders of these groups themselves
>commonly own big homes and vehicles.

I see, so if one chooses to dedicate themselves to a non profit, they better not have expectations or be allowed the ability to provide a high standard of living for themselves and their family. That's absurd.

>Meanwhile, since next to nothing is accomplished for
>pollinators on a landscape scale, the net amount of breeding
>and forage habitat available for both native and managed
>pollinators in the USA continues to decline at a rapid pace

On your last point you and I agree, but that isn't because we are not trying. For
example, you can view under developments at www.pfspbees.org all the comments submitted to USDA/NRCS/FSA for some 4 years addressing this exact point, planning for pollinator habitat and forage for bees easily accessible to beekeepers for the future. Despite the dozens, yes, dozens of regulatory state and national agencies/organizations engaged in honey bee affairs not one has accountability for assessing,quantifying,identifying, enhancing, or increasing clean nutritional forage for honey bees and habitat for native pollinators. Until we do, thanks be to our pollinator advocacy organizations with their talented staff dedicating long hours and producing solid results to create any possible opportunity for habitat so bees and pollinators have a chance at a meal.

Kathy Kellison