From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2016 08:25:35 -0600
A question for the group. Our new package supplier uses candy, in some form,  in package bee cages instead of liquid syrup cans. I can understand the problems that can arise with liquid syrup cans (holes not punched through, syrup leaked in transport, bees out of syrup, etc). I'm not familiar with how these package cages with candy are set up. At first I thought I misunderstood what they were telling me, but I reconfirmed that today and they have been shipping their package bees that way for many, many years I'm told......insights would be appreciated....

Rick,  this one is without a doubt,  my area of expertise.    I spent a long time working on options for syrup cans (yes I have one)  but to answer your question. Hard candy is fine,  but  a bit messy  they will drop as much as they consume if you use an open bottom container.  Some will use whats called a walk in can, but the issue with that is there will be a lot of bees in the can when you empty the package.

I did actually experimental trials with 400 packages and 5 types of feeds.  We weighed the bees and the food amounts consumed 2 times a day for 10 days,  then installed the packages.  The only one to absolutely avoid is marshmallows or a derivative of that.

Catch me off line and I can probably tell you who the supplier is.

Charles