From:
Marc Sevigny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 09:14:41 -0400
I opened my hives this week and noticed a couple of strange
things.

My strongest hive is working on filling the brood chambers (2)
with honey, even though there is a completely empty honey
super right above it.  I have a filled medium on top, the empty
super (with only foundation) below that, a queen excluder,
then the two deeps below.  The top two honey supers had
no bees in them at all, not crossing the queen excluder, it seems,
even though there is honey above (I thought that would attract the
bees).

Should my tactic be to remove the excluder to get them to work the
foundation in the empty super?  Will they eventually "move" the honey
from the brood chambers up into the honey supers?  Or will the honey
remain, causing congestion and a tendency to swarm?

Marc

Marc Sevigny                    Email: [log in to unmask]
Qualix Group, Inc               www.qualix.com
Mass Dev Center         Phone/Fax: (508) 393-0098
100 Bearfoot Road
Northborough, MA 01532