From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 06:46:32 -0400
Paul Cherubini wrote:

> What I am having trouble understanding is the claim that
> natural pollinators aren't abundant and fairly diverse even
> in and around our most intensive monocultures.
A valid question, especially when you consider what was there before.
There seems to be an assumption that there were lots of local
pollinators and the bad Agribusinesses drover them to extinction. The
problem with that assumption is that there may have been few pollinators
in the first place since most grasslands do not need them since grasses
are generally wind pollinated. So you are actually not changing the
pollination method, and you would have few pollinators either way since
they are not needed.

To discount migratory pollinators like butterflies misses the mark on
how many plants are pollinated. Plants do rely on migratory pollinators
and set their bloom time for their arrival. You could go into an area
and find no pollinators to speak of but lots of plants that need
pollinators. Butterflies and even bats can accomplish it as they move
through.

So pollinators can be missing from an area that needs them and they
migrate through, such as a desert, or are not needed except in small
numbers, such as a prairie.

As far as the other post that addresses the study on how added
pollinators gives increased yields, we have gone down that path recently
and do not need to do so again.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine