From:
PondSite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 12:06:54 -0500
Just got back from the South Carolina beekeepers spring meeting, to
sunshine and 80f in BarnwellSC,
and peachs and plums are in full bloom here.  Remember last year, we lost
all our peachs and plums
because of just this kind of weather.  It is going to freeze at least once
more, here.  At least it is nice
while it lasts. all bees flying.
                                                   Walt

----------
> From: David Green <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Eighty Six and Wide Open for a Freeze
> Date: Thursday, February 27, 1997 7:14 PM
>
>     Florence, South Carolina broke the all-time temperature record for
ANY
> date in February today at 86 degrees.  Pears have been blooming for a
week,
> and peaches are opening.
>
>    Honey is pouring in, and strong hives are capping new honey.  Anise
> hyssop, redbud, wild mustard and many other flowers are in full bloom.
This
> is the earliest spring I have ever seen.  Global warming?
>
>    But I am starting to chew my fingernails.  We could easily get a
serious
> freeze, which would now severely damage all hardwood flower buds, and
could
> wipe out fruit.  Bees would be hurt bad.
>
>     We must now pray for mild weather all through.
>
>     I pulled off a little of this new honey, before it gets eaten or
> contaminated by later blossom.  I wish I had a small hand extractor,
because
> there won't be more than 30 or 40 pounds, and it's hard to clear the
lines
> for that.  But it is VERY nice tasting honey, so we'll probably pack it
in
> little jars, as long as it holds out, assuming we can figure out a way to
> extract it.
>
>     BTW, we would be interested in obtaining some cherry honey, which is
one
> of the best honeys made, but is usually consumed by bees in build up.
Anyone