From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:02:00 -0300
Mike Palmer wrote:

Have any pollinators here made a crop while on blueberries?

I never pull blueberry honey, don't have the time.  I do not think even
strong hives would have made a full  box.  But they did not starve.  The
strong hives definitely were heavy.  They all got a super in the
blueberries and so were in 3 boxes coming out and some of the stands (five
hives) made the engine slow when the boom lifted them if they were far out
from the truck.

I had about 2600 hives in the blueberry barrens of PEI.  But I had another
600 in smaller fields in mixed agricultural areas.  They might have had a
few days of clover before they came out.  But this year we had everything
set in summer yards within the first week after clover started to bloom.
But those were heavier than the hives from the barrens.  The barrens is
also extremely overpopulated with bees (four hives to the acre this year
for my main customer) which is noticeably stressful.  I worked long hours
every night without a break to get them out of there as soon as they
released them.  They also wanted to spray a fungicide for monolignia blight.

Stan