From:
Forrest Zielke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:04:39 EST
In a message dated 3/31/02 3:35:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> and I noted the bees were always in the water
> of horses
> foot prints and working on the 20 pound salt blocks I had for the horses.

Hi Scott
       George is correct. Bees love manure water. They also like water taken
off of hemlock bark mulch. Now the trick is to get the bees to go to the
pond. In my experiments, this is the method I used. If you have a few hives,
place an old piece of comb filled with sugar water above the inner cover.
After the bees are used to taking the sugar water, quickly carry the combs
loaded with feeding bees to the edge of the pond. Part of the comb can be in
the water. It would help if you first put down bark mulch or manure. The
first bees will come off the comb and orientate to fix the position. After
unloading at the hive they will return. It is like reverse belining. Once you
get a good line going, you take away the comb and pour the sugar water on the
damp ground at the edge of the water. After time the sugar is depleted and
they take on only water. From then on, that is their water source. I use this
method to move their water sours anywhere I want.

Forrest Zielke
Ashland, MA  USA
P. S.
George, I love your pink pages but my eye site is getting bad and I am having
trouble reading red on black. Is there some other way to get to your pink
pages.