From:
Andrew Wootton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 11:11:52 +1000
Snip

> We found mention of the traditional use of smoke from pyrotechnic devices
> to subdue wasps when raiding their colonies for brood for human consumption
> in Japan (Matsuura & Yamane 1984) and for fishing bait in the USA

I've noticed a species differences in the reaction to smoke.  I was
relocating a paper wasp colony, Polistes humilis (and playing to the
audience!).  When I gave them a puff of smoke they took off rapidly in all
directions (and I did too to put on a veil). Could be due to the exposed
nature of the nest (no deep cavity to hide in) or to the presence of
multiple reproductive queens capable of founding colonies. Anyway, totally
different from honey bees.